Skip to main content

Bursaries support you through your studies by helping with general living costs. They are non-repayable and can be spent on anything from rent and household bills to books and specialist equipment.

Please also see our pages on scholarships and grants for more information about financial support.

University bursary scheme

The University is committed to encouraging applications from under-represented groups by providing means tested financial support. The type of support we offer will be changing from the 2017/18 academic year: 

  • Foundation year entrants: £3,000 bursary (up to 80 to be awarded to eligible students).
  • Full-time degree entrants: £3,000 bursary in year one (up to 280 to be awarded to eligible students).
  • Full-time degree year 2+: £500 bursary in each remaining year of study (for all full-time students who previously received the £3,000 bursary in their foundation or first year).

This support will be given to priority outreach groups as defined by 2017/18 Access Agreement. These students must satisfy the following criteria to be eligible for the Access Agreement Financial Support Package:

  • have a declared household income of £25,000 or less.
  • are enrolled on a full-time course, paying full variable or new regime fees.
  • have a fee status of home or EU.

Applicants must accept Southampton Solent as their firm choice. These bursaries are awarded on a first come first served basis until maximum availability has been reached. The bursaries can’t be awarded in conjunction with other University scholarships or discounts. If you are eligible for more than one, you will be automatically allocated the one with the highest value. 

The bursary awards are issued in December and March (two equal payments).

Full-time degree students who began their study in 2016/17 or prior will still receive £500 dependent on if they:

  • have a declared household income of £25,000 or less,
  • are on a full time course, paying full variable or new regime fees,
  • have a fee status of home or EU,
  • are not currently on an ERASMUS placement or industry placement year.

Priority will also be given to applicants who are identified within one of our key outreach groups as defined in our 2017/18 Access Agreement.

It is estimated that the University will allocate cash awards to the value of approximately £2.1m (including payments to pre 2017/18 entry students). You are only eligible for one bursary type in any single year and can only hold either a bursary or the Academic Merit Scholarship Award - you cannot choose which award to receive.

You do not need to apply for this support. All the relevant information is taken from the form you completed and returned to Student Finance England or the Student Loans Company when applying for tuition loans. 

Students applying from the European Union will need to make sure that they return their Initial Application form (EUPR1A) to the Student Loan company by the end of June to ensure that you automatically receive the European Bursary form (EU18B). If the application is submitted late the student will need to request a European Bursary form directly from the Student Loan Company. 

The European Bursary form will need to have been received by the Student Loan Company by the third week in September to give them time to process the paperwork. Any delay in returning forms may result in the household income not being available when the bursary assessment is being made, which will make you ineligible. All evidence supporting the European Bursary form should be in its original language, and a UK bank account is not required to make the application.

For more information, please contact the bursaries team on

Care leavers, Foyer Federation and supported accommodation bursary

The University offers a bursary for students who have been in local authority care.

The support package includes a £1,500 bursary each academic year. Eligible students should complete (depending on their situation), either: 

Application form: Care leavers bursary 2017/18

Application form: Foyer Federation and supported accommodation bursary 2017/18

For further information on the support available to care leavers please visit the care leavers support homepage or download our leaflet.

Carer bursary

Students who are carers for their parents or an immediate family member (excluding children), and have been recognised as such by their local authority, may be able to apply for the University’s carers bursary. 

This is a non-repayable bursary of £750 awarded to young carers who continue to have caring responsibilities while they are studying at university.  It is paid in three termly instalments into the student’s bank account.

Find out more

Estranged students bursary

Students who are recognised as ‘irreconcilably estranged’ by Student Finance England can apply to the University’s estranged students bursary for each year of their studies. 

This is a non-repayable bursary of £1,000 awarded to students who continue to be estranged from their parents while they are studying at university.  It is paid in three termly instalments into the student’s bank account.

Find out more

Access to Learning Fund

For further information on how to apply, please visit the grants homepage.

External support: Social work bursary

Current students doing a social work degree may be eligible for the social work bursary

The bursary recognises that social work students have to undertake 200 days of hands-on placements, which reduces their ability to take a part-time job.

It is payable to undergraduate students in year two and year three, and to postgraduate students.

All students must reapply for their bursary each academic year.

For full information about the social work bursary, including the application process and deadline, please read this document created by the NHS Business Services Authority.

Please call 0300 3301 342 (NHS) for more information, or email them using

External support: Disabled Student Allowance

The Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) can help to pay for any costs or expenses incurred that arise due to disability. It is not income-assessed and there is no upper age limit.

Full-time, part-time and postgraduate students with disabilities are able to make an application for DSA. Applications are made to Student Finance England (SFE) via GOV.UK.

The allowance will be paid either directly to you or to the supplier of your specialist services. SFE will notify you in writing about the equipment and support that they will fund. This process usually takes four to six weeks.

For more information, please read the DSA Guide 2016/17 or contact the University's disability coordinator.

Back to top