Since the 2016/17 academic year students have been able to apply for a postgraduate loan from the UK Government. The postgraduate loan is not income assessed.
Loans are available for both taught and research master's programmes (MA, MSc, MBA, MREs, LLM and MPhil) and cover all subject areas.
Full-time, part-time and distance learning modes of study are all included.
Postgraduate loans are not available for postgraduate certificates or postgraduate diplomas. You cannot apply for a loan if you have already gained a qualification at masters (or higher) level.
Download our leaflet on the postgraduate loans
Download our presentation on postgraduate funding.
Visit the GOV.UK website for more information on how to apply, how to repay your loan and eligibility criteria.
2017/18 discounts for Southampton Solent University graduates
Southampton Solent University offers graduates a generous discount on postgraduate study.
Students who achieved a first (1.1) in their undergraduate degree will be offered a 50% discount to study at PG level. Students who achieved a 2.1 or 2.2 will be offered a 20% discount to study at PG level.
Find out more
Scholarships are available to help UK, EU and international students to pay for their postgraduate education. Follow the link bellow to find out more about academic merit scholarships.
Find out more
Professional and Career Development Loans
Professional and Career Development Loans are available from the Co-operative Bank. However, because they are a commercial loan product, they should only be considered as an option once all other student funding options have been investigated.
- Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that can be used to help pay for work-related learning.
- You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work).
- The Government will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards.
- The loan can be used to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses.
- You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries.
Visit the GOV.UK website for more information.
Other sources of postgraduate funding
A range of charities and commercial organisations run their own postgraduate bursaries. Some may require you to demonstrate eligibility by producing a written application, short video or other creative project. Others will simply require you to apply online. Some useful links are included below:
Back to top