The theme for the EASS 2020 Conference is Sport, Diversity and Social Change. We welcome abstracts concerned with the main theme, but we also encourage contributions from a wide range of topics within the sociology of sports.
Increasingly, we live in a world where the importance of social justice is recognised. While its practice might not always be applied consistently, and, in some cases, ignored altogether, a celebration of diversity and commitment to equality are pivotal in promoting positive social change.
Sport and physical activity are vehicles that have both struggled with and drawn attention to issues relating to equality and diversity. While significant issues remain, it is within sport and physical activity that some of the general opportunities exist to challenging existing ways of thinking and behaving.
Taking the above into account, the organising committee of EASS 2020 invite scholars from across Europe and around the world to submit abstracts that explore the conference's core themes of Sport, Diversity and Social Change.
Beyond the main theme, the 17th European Association for the Sociology of Sport Conference will feature a broad range of sessions with the opportunity to share and discuss research concerned with sport and society within classical domains and newly emerging fields, including (but not limited to):
- Sport and Social Theory
- Sport, Policy and Governance
- Sport, Power and Social Difference
- School Sport and Physical Education
- Sport and Gender
- Sport and Sexuality
- Sport and Globalisation
- Sport, Environment and Sustainability
- Sport and Media
- Sport and Ethnicity
- Sport and Ethics
- Sport and Health
- Sport and Doping
- Sport and Technologies
- Sport and Disability
- Sport, Development and Peace
- Youth Sport
- Sport, Migration and Forced Migration (in cooperation with the European Sociological Association (ESA))
- Methodological and Empirical Challenges on Sports and Physical Activity (in cooperation with the ESA)
- Sport and Volunteering: Representations and Perspectives (in cooperation with the ESA)
- Open Theme