At Southampton Solent University our professional consultancy service is delivered by specialist members of staff who have years of expertise in their field.
We tailor our consultancy to your individual requirements, working closely with you to achieve your business objectives.
Some of our specialist consultancy services are outlined below. If you have specific requirements we would be happy to discuss your individual project or business needs.
Business and innovation
We offer a range of accredited professional short courses and apprenticeships across a number of subjects, all focused on the immediate challenges faced by businesses. From work-based learning or online courses to part-time and weekend study options, our courses can be tailored to fit your business commitments. Our learning and development solutions offer a range of qualifications including awards issued by the Chartered Management Institute, the Chartered Institute of Marketing, CIPD, PRINCE2 and ACCA.
Programmes can be delivered at our campus or at your own location, via a wide range of delivery methods: e-learning, self-directed learning, one-to-one coaching, group workshops and more. We will work with you to match your needs to programmes available and if we don’t have something suitable, our aim is to develop the training with you.
We're proud holders of the Small Business Charter award. Our experience of supporting businesses' innovation and growth has also been acknowledged by both the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS) and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS).
Find out more about apprenticeships at Solent
Take a look at our professional courses
Telephone: 023 8201 3179
Our built environment team has a diverse range of skills in the sector and strong links with regional construction companies. The team members combine wide experience with membership of one or more of the main organisations involved with the construction industry, including:
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
- The Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)
- The Geological Society (GS).
Facilities at Southampton Solent University include a well-equipped soil and construction laboratory, an architectural studio, and IT laboratories with project planning, CAD and building services software.
The main research and enterprise skills of the team include:
- Sustainability in construction
- Energy management in buildings
- Quality and risk management in construction
- Emergency shelter and rammed earth blocks
- Production and management of precast concrete products.
Architecture and interior design
- Architectural design and housing standards
- Interior design of buildings
- Hotel interiors and fit-out.
Procurement and contract administration
- Contract administration
- Lean construction and supply chain management
- Dispute resolution
- Procurement and purchasing advice.
Structural and civil engineering
- Geotechnics (index testing of soils and lateral earth pressures/retaining wall design)
- Structural analysis and design, land surveying and water filtration.
Planning and building surveying
- General practice surveying, party walls, defects diagnosis
- Employer agent and funder’s representative.
Quantity surveying and project management
- Project planning and management, including PRINCE2
- Development management
- Cost planning, cost engineering and cost management.
Business and information technology
- Business process modelling, including simulation modelling
- Construction information technology including 4D planning (3D CAD + time)
- Strategic management of construction businesses
- IT applications for small to medium businesses.
Product design and manufacture
Within the innovation and design centre our specialist staff members have experience in various areas including:
- Requirements capture
- Rapid manufacture and product design
- Contract research
- Concept design
- Engineering drawing
- Virtual modelling
- Finite element analysis
- Engineering development
- Design for manufacture.
Small craft design
The University has more than 30 years’ experience of delivering yacht technology courses. This expertise in yacht production, manufacture and surveying is available for knowledge transfer partnerships and consultancy.
Telephone: 023 8031 9862
Warsash Maritime Academy, part of Southampton Solent University, offers specialist research and consultancy services to the maritime industry, particularly in the field of maritime human factors.
We’re involved in some exciting projects. These include:
This EU-sponsored research project looks into the concerns over human safety, environmental damage and commercial loss due to watch officer fatigue.
Find out more about Project HORIZON
Maritime human factors
Our research, training and consultancy in maritime human factors aims to increase understanding and awareness of human factors in the international shipping industry.
Our mission is to help improve safety, promote best practice and improve technical and human resource management within shipping.
The research includes the analysis of casualties and the development of near miss and incident reporting systems.
Our full mission bridge simulator can be used for reconstructions of collisions and groundings, often giving insights to the investigation that are not obvious from other evidence sources.
Our specialist staff can also act as expert witnesses.
Previous customers include:
- individual shipping companies,
- flag states,
- government agencies,
- marine accident investigators,
- legal firms, and
- harbour masters.
Port development projects
Consultancy in aspects of port development includes examining the operational aspects of changes in a port, such as realigning existing berths, examining proposals for new berths, testing against specific combinations of meteorological conditions and investigating tug requirements and techniques.
Proposed berths, channels and other elements of a port can be built from drawings to achieve pilot and tug master familiarisation prior to the completion of the infrastructure.
The operational needs and procedures for new ship types and sizes can also be investigated on the simulation.
For further information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Delivered by highly knowledgeable and experienced staff, our services reflect the diversity of noise and acoustic requirements in both the public and private sectors.
We offer the following consultancy services:
- Environmental noise - monitoring, modelling and assessment
- Environmental impact assessments and planning guidance
- BS 4142: Industrial noise affecting mixed residential and industrial areas
- BS 8233: Sound insulation and noise reduction for buildings
- BS 5228: Noise control on construction and open sites
- ETSU-R97: Wind turbine noise
- Acoustic modelling for performance spaces
- Insertion loss measurements for hearing protection (ISO 4869)
- Building regulations (Part E)
- Soundproofing and reverberation treatment design
- Sound reinforcement system design.
Find out more about Solent Acoustics
Our Centre for Health, Exercise and Sport Science (CHESS) has provided sports science support to a wide range of athletes and sports clubs.
The world-class, £1.3 million facility has been used to test and train athletes competing in all sports and sports settings, from rowers, tri-athletes and the Team GB wheelchair basketball squad to rugby teams, Surrey County Cricket Club and professional football clubs.
Sports science consultancy at Southampton Solent University offers the services of a team of highly experienced and qualified staff with expertise in exercise physiology, strength and conditioning, psychology, nutrition, notational analysis and rehabilitation.
Find out more
Our facilities include:
- Psychology laboratory
- Health and exercise laboratory
- Biomechanics laboratory
- Physiology laboratory
To find out more, contact Bonita Lavender:
Telephone: 023 8201 3392
The Lawrie McMenemy Centre for Football Research (LMCFR) provides expert support for the football industry, students and the media.
This multi-disciplinary centre is dedicated to football education, research and consultancy.
Southampton Solent University is the UK’s leading provider for football-related academic study and has been at the forefront of this area for a number of years.
Over the past year we have undertaken some 150 filming and editing projects for a broad range of commercial and non-profit making organisations.
Challenges have ranged from filming and editing short interviews to be broadcast the same evening on BBC South Today, to a crew of 35 students being commissioned to produce seven documentaries for Glastonbury Film Festivals Ltd.
To find out more, contact Tony Steyger:
Telephone: 023 8201 3919
Back to top