Here for you today…
The world around us continues to evolve, with Covid-19 now among a multitude of other social and environmental issues that our communities are adapting to. From climate change to the fourth industrialisation, these global issues require a collaborative approach and firm commitment from people and their organisations to drive change and seize the opportunity.
Solent has an important role to play in promoting and supporting our economic revival. As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic that role has never been more important. We are committed to doing what we can to support businesses large and small, local and national, to bounce back and to survive and thrive in these difficult times. To ensure we do our bit we are committing ourselves to work alongside the business sector to provide practical help as well as smart thinking, research and knowledge exchange that will have a real impact.
Our commitment to you
1. We will reply to any request for help and support registered through the request support form within 24 hours, Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm.
Complete the form here
2. We are as committed to working with start-ups, micro businesses and SMEs as we are to helping nationals and multi-nationals. Similarly, our support stretches across the private sector to social enterprises and into the charitable sector.
3. We offer cost-effective solutions for businesses and, in some cases, are able to provide pro-bono support. Where we don’t charge we would ask to take students on a placement, consider sending their staff on one of our CPD or apprenticeship programmes, or taking part in one of our research programmes. When things go really well, we might talk to the business about creating a joint venture or putting in a shared bid for government or Research Council funding. Together we may be able to draw down funding that alone we could not. We are also aware that by working with business we will learn from them as they will learn from us.
4. We will always do what we can to help, but if we can’t we will tell the business so we don’t waste their time and put them in contact with someone else who we think can help. We are part of a network of universities all committed to supporting businesses.
5. We will listen to what support businesses need and provide it in a practical way grounded in common sense, professional best practice and research.
6. We will develop a long-term relationship with businesses and recover together.
Karen Stanton, Vice-Chancellor
Future ready for tomorrow…
As a future ready university it’s an exciting time to be working with Solent. Home to world-class facilities, creative communities and with a global reputation in fields including maritime and fashion, working with business has long been in our DNA at Solent.
Our range of business services, courses and specialist facilities enable us to offer tailored solutions that support business growth. Like all businesses we are adapting our approach in response to Covid-19 and while some things may now be virtual, we are still here to work with you.
We recognise that little can be achieved alone - that’s why we’re working with partners including Business South, Hampshire Chamber of Commerce, Solent LEP, Hampshire County Council and Southampton City Council to ensure our future plans support the region’s economic revival.
Over the next few months we’ll be releasing details on some of our exciting new developments and we’d love for you to be part of that journey. You can sign up to receive updates on our new developments or keep an eye on our social media channels including Twitter and LinkedIn.
Sign up to receive updates here
Working in collaboration:
Here’s a sneak preview of what’s ahead…
A new School of Business: We are creating a new School of Business which shows our commitment to growth and supporting business in these difficult times. A founding mission of the School will be reaching out to local businesses and promoting economic regeneration. A very practical thing that the new School can help businesses with is moving online and planning to take the opportunities presented by 5G and what has been termed as the fourth industrial revolution.
Small Business Leadership Programme: The University’s Solent Business School is working with the Small Business Charter to deliver a specialised Government funded programme for leaders of small businesses to survive and thrive in the coming months and post coronavirus. The practical syllabus provides business leaders with access to small business and management experts from Solent Business School. The Small Business Leadership Programme is free and fully funded by the Government to enhance small business resilience and recovery from the impact of Covid-19 and develop potential for future growth and productivity. Find out more
A renewed focus on health and wellbeing: The health and wellbeing of all employers and employees has never been more important. After Covid-19 the wealth of a business will not only to be measured by its financial turnover but by the health of its owners and staff. We’re looking at ways to repurpose our provision to support post Covid-19 physical rehabilitation. As a result we can help you and your colleagues get physically and mentally fit for the financial challenges you are facing.
A sustainable future: Across the University we have expertise that can help businesses be environmentally sustainable and tackle climate change. As well as helping your business recover from Covid-19, together we can do our bit to help the planet recover.
Looking for inspiration?
Here are just a few of the ways we can work together…
Growth and innovation: Work with our pool of creative academics and students to help your business grow and co-create innovative solutions. We offer a range of services including consultancy, research and development and live project briefs.
Training and development: Grow and develop your workforce through our variety of professional courses and apprenticeships. Our courses are designed to reflect the need of industry and offer a blend of classroom and online learning options.
Recruitment: Whether you’re looking to fill a work placement, a seasonal role or a full time graduate position, we’re here to help you access our pool of talented students.
Giving back: Partnership is at the core of who we are at Solent. While we offer a range of ways, your business can make a positive difference to society and our student community. From volunteering on campus to fundraising support there’s a variety of ways to get involved.
Back to top