The face of apprenticeships is changing. Apprenticeships are often considered to be targeted solely at those who are first starting their careers, but this no longer holds true. A large proportion of apprentices are still using this provision to gain entry to employment, but there has never been more opportunity for existing staff to get involved and upskill.
Apprenticeships are offered across all levels of education - level 2 and level 3 (GCSE and A-Level equivalent); level 4 and Level 5 (HND and HNC equivalent); and now level 6, level 7 and level 8 (degree, masters and doctorate).
If you have previously studied but now work in an unrelated career, you can retrain at any level. If you have completed qualifications in traditional routes such as A-level but want to further align your training with your job role, apprenticeships offer a perfect solution. Apprenticeships are flexible, industry relevant and completely free for candidates.
The apprenticeship is funded on a co-investment scheme from the Government at 90% Government contribution and 10% employer contribution. This means a £27,000 degree apprenticeship could cost your employer as little as £2,700, which equates to £900 a year or £75 per month.
If a smaller employer takes on an apprentice within the age of 16-18 years, or 19+ with a local authority education, health and care plan, they could receive a 100% contribution from the Government.
Here's what a higher or degree apprenticeship can offer you:
- A combination of on-the-job and academic study which is relevant and applied.
- A continued wage and contract of employment which includes all the same benefits as any employee.
- A higher or degree qualification which is recognised, transferrable and the same level as if achieved through traditional study routes.
- A debt free future with zero tuition fees. (Please note, as apprenticeships are funded by employers, apprentices are not eligible to apply for Student Loans Company loans)
- An opportunity to develop new skills and progress within your industry.
Download our quick guide for students
Find out more about the available apprenticeships at Solent University.
Apprenticeships at Solent
Get in touch
The team here at Solent are happy to talk through your current situation and look at how we can work together to address your training needs.
Get in touch with us via email at email@example.com or call 023 8201 5066.
GOV.UK's guide to apprenticeship funding
Solent's step-by-step guide to the apprenticeship service (PDF)
GOV.UK's apprenticeship homepage
The Skills Funding Agency's guide to higher and degree apprenticeships
Institute for Apprenticeships
You can also call the National Apprenticeship Service on 08000 150 600 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top