Health and exercise laboratory
A fully-equipped, purpose-built gym used for teaching our health and fitness programmes.
About the health and exercise laboratory
The health and exercise laboratory is a purpose-built teaching gym totally dedicated to the practical teaching on our health and fitness units, our REPs industry awards and CPD courses, as well as for student dissertation projects.
It is also home to the Solent PT initiative, where students studying for their REPs fitness industry qualifications work with Solent staff as their personal training clients. This not only provides students with invaluable practical real-world experience, it also enhances the health and wellbeing of staff employed at the University.
The gym provides a wide range of equipment that students are likely to come across in the fitness industry, as well as dedicated and supervised sessions were they can train their clients in a safe and supportive environment.
- 15 cardiovascular stations (Cybex, Concept 2, Wattbike, Versaclimber, Stairmaster and Technogym Skillmill).
- 9 resistance machines (Pulse, LifeFitness, Nautilus and MedX).
- Range of dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, Powerbags and medicine balls.
- York Olympic lifting platform.
- Squat rack.
- PowerPlate vibration platform.
- Keiser Functional Trainer.
Courses that use this facility
- BSc (Hons) Health, Nutrition and Exercise Science
- MSc Football Science