Skip to main content

Applications for all forms of student finance (except for University grants and state benefits) are made via Student Finance England (SFE) on one application form (see below) for each and every year you study.

Please note, students studying an apprenticeship course are not eligible for SLC loans (including maintenance loan for living costs). Please check our apprenticeship funding page for more information on how apprenticeships are funded.

Please also note, Solent University does not currently administer advanced learner loans. Therefore, we cannot provide you with a learning and funding information letter, should you apply for a loan.

What you need to do

  • New applicants must register online then follow the application procedure.
  • Online applications are preferable, but paper applications may be available (see below).
  • If being income assessed, your parents/partner will also need to register and complete their section of your application or complete a PFF2 form. If you are not income assessed, you will only receive the tuition fee loan and the basic maintenance loan.
  • If you change your mind and wish to be income assessed, you will need to contact SFE and ask to be 'means tested'. You will need to complete the non-means tested to means tested form.
  • If you need to make any changes to your application you can contact SFE or edit your application online.
  • If your parents' income has dropped by at least 15% since the 2019/20 tax year, they will need to also complete a current year income assessment form.

Applications will continue to be processed throughout the year and will take at least four to six weeks(approximately) to be assessed, provided all the information required is received.

Funding information for 2022/23 can be found in our student funding presentation.

Download our student funding presentation

2021 Student Finance England offline application forms

These forms are an alternative to the online application process detailed above:

Download the PR1 form for returning students

Download the PN1 form for new students

Evidence needed when applying for finance

To get your full funding entitlement you need to be assessed based on your household income. You can get full information on the evidence required from the Student Finance England website.

You will be assessed as independent from your parents if you come under one or more of the following groups:

  • You are over 25 by 1 September* or
  • are under 25 and:
    • are married/in a civil partnership (by 1 September) or,
    • have care of a child under the age of 18 (by 1 September) or,
    • have been in local authority care or,
    • have no living parents or,
    • have worked full time for a minimum of 3 years prior to the start of the course or
    • are irreconcilably estranged from your parents and can prove this.

Applying for the University Bursary

To apply for the University Bursary, you (and your parents/partner, if applicable) must give 'consent to share' on your Student Finance England application form. Failure to give consent will result in no University Bursary being awarded. If a mistake has been made, it can be amended by all parties giving consent over the phone. Please call 0300 100 0612 for more information.

The income threshold for all scholarships / bursaries is a household income of under £25,000 per year.

Student Finance England's top tips

This video and online guide from Student Finance England look at the application process and the things you can do to help ensure that your money arrives on time for the start of term.

Student Finance England quick start finance guide

Back to top