Celebrating global creative collaboration
Getting creative overseas
For the first time, artists from across the globe have been given the chance to showcase their work and launch their careers at Southampton Solent as part of the University’s Graduate Artists in Residence Award.
For the last four years, more than 100 final-year students studying at Solent’s School of Art, Design and Fashion have applied for the summer residency, with 20 being awarded places. It culminates in an exhibition at the University’s Solent Showcase Gallery.
This year, thanks to the University’s partnership with Trans-National Creative Exchange (TNCE), the scheme has been opened up to young artists from other countries. Co-funded by the European Union’s Creative Europe Programme, the TNCE brings together international partners from countries including Ireland, The Netherlands, China, France and the UK.
This year’s ten selected artists are:
- Kate Aries – Southampton Solent University, UK
- Liang Chaoyu - China Academy of Art, Shanghai Institute of Design, China
- Sam Hiscock - Southampton Solent University, UK
- Áine Kelly - CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, Ireland
- Charlotte Landry - Rencontres Audiovisuelles, France
- Hélène Nivesse - Rencontres Audiovisuelles, France
- Gerard O’Callaghan - CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, Ireland
- Danique Valstar - De Haagse Hogeschool, the Netherlands
- Amy Wright - Southampton Solent University, UK
- Que Xueyin - China Academy of Art, Shanghai Institute of Design, China
Over the summer, the selected graduates are provided with the time, money and studio space to produce work for an exhibition - giving them the opportunity to work professionally with a contemporary gallery.
This year’s exhibition, Pass it On, is inspired by the unstoppable modern interchange of ideas between artists from across the globe.
“As well as highlighting the benefits of creative collaboration, this exhibition is about celebrating art’s power to keep pushing the world forward,” says Kate Maple, Curator of the University’s Solent Showcase Gallery.
The exhibition is available to view at the Showcase Gallery from 3 September - 8 October after which it goes on tour, exhibiting in all the TNCE partner countries.
International partners of the TNCE include: Southampton Solent University, CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, CIT Wandesford Quay Gallery, The Hague University of Applied Sciences, Rencontres Audiovisuelles and China Academy of Art/Shanghai Institute of Design.