After graduating with a BA (Hons) Business Studies, James held a variety of retail management positions before taking the commercial experience gained from his early career in roles in both small and large retail organisations into the human resource management and development arena, where he has held a number of management and senior leadership roles. While working within the HR environment, James studied for his CIPD qualifications, gaining the Solent CIPD Student of the Year Award in the process; he then undertook an MA in HR.
Having held specialist roles in recruitment and selection, reward management, employee relations, workforce planning and policy development, as well as in generalist HR consultancy and HR leadership, James is currently senior HR business partner at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and has recently played a critical leadership role in a number of major business transformation programmes.
James’ lecturing and tutoring experience is extensive and has involved undergraduate, postgraduate and professional programmes, including research and dissertation supervision and unit leadership of CIPD units at both level 5 and level 7.
James' teaching experience includes blended learning, unit leading, research report supervision and more.
- Resourcing and talent management (unit leader).
- Improving organisational performance (unit leader).
- Organisational development.
- MA dissertation & management research report supervision.
- Certificate in personnel practice/HR practice.
- People and organisations (blended learning).
- MBA – principles of human resources.
- Employment and society.
- Human resource management.
- Managing and leading people.