Mark is course leader for BA (Hons) Product Design in the Faculty of Creative Industries, Architecture and Engineering. He has 25 years’ experience in teaching and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Mark is a Chartered Technical Product Designer (CTPD) with over 30 years’ experience working in the design industry, from design research, in-house design, freelance, to design consultancy and industry advisor. His work has received both national and international recognition for good design. One of his latest projects, ‘Shwmae’ – an interactive games console for the Welsh Cricket Museum, received the Celtic Media Festival Award for Innovation in 2014.
His approach to design is very much user-centred and he is keen to promote design as a "force for good". Mark’s case studies are a vital part of his teaching to help students contextualise the design process. Mark has published numerous scholarly articles in such areas as design materials selection, design process, creative thinking and aesthetic perception in design. His latest publication ‘The Definition of Product Design’ was commissioned by Bloomsbury Press as part of 3 Volume ‘Encyclopaedia of Design’.
Mark's work in progress includes digital interfaces and furniture and lighting.
- Commissioned design – ‘Base Ace’ Interactive play arena for children, 2014.
- Commissioned design - Interactive Games Console, CC4 Welsh Cricket Museum, 2012.
- Concept to manufacture - ‘Talking Targets’ – Sports training aid, 2011.
- Concept to manufacture - ‘Sonic Phonics’ educational device for teaching and learning, 2008. www.talkingproducts.co.uk/sonic_phonics.htm
- Concept to manufacture - ‘Talking Golf Holes’, 2008. www.talkingproducts.co.uk/talking_golf_holes.htm
- Concept design for the Trailer Lighting Board Company, 2007.
- Concept to manufacture - ‘Talking Tags’ promotional voice recording device, 2007. www.talkingproducts.co.uk/talking_fridge_magnets.htm
- Concept and production of ‘Talking Tour Guides’ – promotional product for Talking Tablets Ltd, June 2006.
- Concept to manufacture - ‘Wall Box’ electronics enclosure of computer networking, Cooper B Line Ltd, product launch Jan 2005.
- ‘PillPress’ medical device for Rexcom Ltd, Patented design. Launch 2004.
- Concept to manufacture of Chip/Pin smart card payment system for Paypoint/HTEC Ltd, product launch Dec 2003.
Research/advanced scholarship output
“MATERIALS SELECTION IN PRODUCT DESIGN BASED ON SENSORY PERCEPTION” from 2014-12th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR, 2014).
Hengfeng Zuo, Tony Hope, Mark Jones, (2014), chapter 3 'Tactile Aesthetics of Materials and Design', in edited book 'Materials Experience: Contemporary Issues Connecting Materials and Product Design', by Elsevier 2014, ISBN: 978-0-08-099359-1.
Jane Bartholomew, Steve Rutherford, Mark Jones, (2013), chapter writer ‘Design Process and Creative Thinking’, 'The Design Student’s Handbook: Your essential guide to course, context and career', July 2013, Pearson Press.
Heng Feng Zuo, Tony Hope, Mark Jones, (2013), chapter – ‘Design Materials Selection towards Tactile Aesthetic Appreciation’ in 'Materials Experience Fundamentals of Materials' – Due Nov 2013, ISBN: 978-0-08-099359-1, Elsevier Science & Technology.
Tony Hope, Mark Jones, Heng Feng Zuo, (2013), 'Sensory Perception in Materials Selection for Industrial/Product Design', May 2013, The International Journal of Designed Objects, Volume 6, Issue 3, pp.17-31. Article: Print, Article: Electronic (PDF File; 783.269KB), Common Ground Publishing - Peer reviewed. ISSN: 2325-1379.
Zuo, H, Jones, M, (2010). ‘The Selection of Materials to Match Human Sensory Adaptation and Aesthetic Expectation' in lIndustrial Designl, METU JFA, 27(2), pp.301-319.
Hengfeng Zuo, Mark Jones, (2008), 'Re-envisaging Texture'. In Proceedings of 11th International Generative Art Conference, December 2008, Milan, Italy.
Hengfeng Zuo, Mark Jones, (2007), 'Evolution of Organic and Curvaceous Shape as a Gene Element in Product Design'. In Proceedings of 10th International Generative Art Conference, December 2007, Milan, Italy.
Hengfeng Zuo, Mark Jones, (2007), 'An Exploration into Aesthetic Association of Product Form'. In Proceedings of 3rd International Conference Design and Semantics of Form and Movement, December 2007, Newcastle, UK.
Hengfeng Zuo, Mark Jones, Qiu Song, Liu Xin, (2006), 'Aesthetic Perception in Design (Developing a Product Language)', 9th International Conference Generative Art, 2006, Milan Italy.
Hengfeng Zuo, Mark Jones, Tony Hope, (2005), 'The Selection of Materials to Match Human Sensory and Aesthetic Expectation in Product Design, Engageability and Design.'
Hengfeng Zuo, Mark Jones, Tony Hope, (2004), 'A Matrix of Material Representation, Futureground', edited by John Redmond, David Durling and Arthur de Bono, p.247.
Hengfeng Zuo, Tony Hope, Mark Jones, Paul Castle, (2003), 'Sensory Interaction with Materials', in 'Design and Emotion', edited by D McDonagh, P Hekkert et al, Taylor & Francis, p. 223-227.
Hengfeng Zuo, Tony Hope, Mark Jones, Paul Castle, (2001), 'An Investigation into the Sensory Properties of Materials',Proceedings of The 2nd International Conference on Affective Human Factors Design, Asean Academic Press, London, P.500~507. (This paper won the Best International Paper Prize.)