Skip to main content

If you are a student from an EU country, you may be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan . Please check the  GOV.UK website for the latest updates.

Tuition fee loans

You can apply for your tuition fee loan by completing the relevant forms, depending on if you are a new or returning student.

Apply for a tuition fee loan

If you cannot send your original passport/ID and want to send copies, you must have read and completed the following:

Certifier checklist

Evidence factsheet

If you need to make a change to your application you need to complete either EUC01 or the tuition fee loan request form:


Tuition fee loan request form

The deadline is nine months after the first day of the course's academic year. Academic years begin on 1 September, 1 January, 1 April and 1 July.

For further information on EU student funding, please contact the non-UK finance team at Student Finance England (SFE) on +44 141 243 3570 or visit the GOV.UK website.

Part-time EU students

Application forms for part-time funding are usually available from the summer before you start your course. 

  • New and returning EU part-time entrants can apply for a part-time tuition fee loan.
  • Since 2018/19, part-time EU students who fulfil the eligibility criteria* (ie, a five-year residency or a migrant worker) for full UK funding may be able to apply for a maintenance loan for living costs as well as the fee loan.
  • Returning EU part-time students who started their course before 2012 may receive a fee grant (non-repayable) to help with the costs of their tuition fees.

To find out more about part-time funding, please visit the GOV.UK website.

Living cost support (maintenance loan)

EU students cannot usually get funding to help with living costs.

However, if they fulfil specific residency criteria, they may be able to apply for a maintenance loan, as UK students can.

Therefore, EU nationals who started their courses from the 2016/17 academic year onwards are required to demonstrate five years' residency* in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man prior to the first day of the first academic year of their course (usually 1 September if it starts in the autumn term) to be able to apply. For example, if your course begins on 20 September 2020, you must have lived in the UK since 1 September 2015.

Academic years start on 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July. Check with the University if you are unsure.

* Students who started studying in higher education prior to 2016/17 come under the three year residency rule. The increased five year residency requirement does not apply to UK nationals to whom the existing three year residency rule continues to apply. EEA migrant workers and their family members are also not affected by this change.

EU migrant workers

Some EU and Swiss worker students may be able to take out full UK Government student funding (maintenance loan and tuition fee loan). This would mean being classed as an EU migrant worker. However, the rules are complex and subject to strict residency regulations.

The initial eligibility criteria is you must have arrived in the UK before the first day of the first academic year of your course (usually 1 September if it starts in the autumn term). You must also be working to apply under migrant worker status. However, this doesn't guarantee you will get a maintenance loan. Student Finance need to be satisfied with your level of income and type of work (it cannot be related to your course/university). Please seek advice through the University's student funding team or UKCISA before applying.

International Academic Merit Scholarships (IAMS) EU/EEA students

The University offers a limited number of academic merit scholarships of between £500 and £1,000 for applicants from the EU/EEA studying a full-time course and who exceed the entry criteria for their course based on the EU/EEA qualification studied. 

For more information please visit the scholarships page.

Support grants

If you are assessed by Student Finance as a migrant worker, or fulfil the residency criteria and are eligible for and received your full student funding (maintenance loan), you may then be able to apply to our non-repayable grants from the University.

EU and international support grant

If you are an EU or international student experiencing a short-term financial emergency which is unforeseen and beyond your control, you should see the student funding team in the first instance. You will need to demonstrate that you had initially made adequate financial arrangements to support yourself throughout your studies, including paying your tuition fees, and that your current situation is temporary.

Latest news and updates

Important information for EU nationals and Brexit

The rules will remain unchanged for EU nationals, or their family members, applying for a course at Solent in autumn 2020.  The Student Loans Company (SLC) will assess applications against existing eligibility requirements, and will provide loans/grants in the normal way.

The government has confirmed that EU students will continue to remain eligible for financial support in the 2020/21 academic year.

More information about EU funding and Brexit

EU nationals (or their family members) who are currently in higher education, and who are assessed as eligible to receive loans and/or grants from the Student Loans Company, will continue to receive these loans and grants until they finish their course.

What about 2021/22?

The fee status of EU and EEA students starting courses at UK universities from 2021/22 has now been determined by UK governments. See the UKCISA website for more information.

EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate, and advanced learner financial support from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021/22.

It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, or those EU and other EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens' Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement, or Swiss Citizens' Rights Agreement, respectively.

It will also not apply to Irish nationals living in the UK or Ireland whose right to study and to access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement.

The written ministerial statement is available here.

Back to top