Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

We have a large community of international students here at Solent University and understand that the process of relocating to a new country can be challenging. Students coming from Japan can find a range of advice about obtaining a visa and studying in the UK right here on the Solent website.

For more specific advice about coming from Japan to study, please see the information below. Alternatively, you can contact the British Council's Japan offices or our own international advice team.

Entry requirements

As a general guide, we look for qualifications that are equivalent to the British high school A-levels. A portfolio is also required for most of our art and design courses.

Students should hold an associate degree/diploma from a Junior College.

Students with an Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho) may be eligible for a foundation year (year 0 of a bachelor's degree).

For postgraduate courses, we look for qualifications that are equivalent to the British bachelor's degree. Students should hold a bachelor's degree (Gakushi).

International scholarships

We are pleased to offer scholarships to students from Japan. These are available if you are applying for a full-time course at Solent University and are a self-funded, full-fee student.

Find out more

Visa information

As a Japanese national, you will need to apply for a visa to come and study in the UK. When you have met all the conditions of entry for a full-time course at Solent University (including payment of deposit and course acceptance), you will be sent a Certificate of Acceptance for Study (CAS) number. You will need this document to apply for a student visa.

You should make your application for a visa at the local visa application centre.

Speak with an official representative

Solent has a number of official representatives around the world. They give you the chance to talk about opportunities here at Solent with someone in your own country. 

Education Tower Ltd
Tel: +81 (0)3 5367 3315 (Tokyo) / +81 (0)6 6371 1116
Location: Tokyo and Osaka

IAE Global /
Tel: +44 20 7953 0236

NIC International College in Japan (English) / (Japanese)
Tel: +81 (0)3 5379 5551 (Tokyo) / +81 (0)6 4256 6925 (Osaka)
Location: Tokyo and Osaka

Study International UK (SI-UK) (English) / (Japanese)
Email: /
Tel: +81 (0)3 5272 9143 (Tokyo) / +81 (0)6 6147 5681 (Osaka)
Location: Tokyo and Osaka

Partner institutions

If you are studying at one of our academic partner institutions, you may be able to enter the second or third year of one of our undergraduate courses. This can allow you to extend your learning and obtain a British undergraduate qualification. We hold partnership agreements with the following institution in Japan:

  • Fukuoka Foreign Language College
Back to top