Monday 11 August 2014
Solent's trained advisors ready to help with clearing
Hundreds of thousands of students will be on tenterhooks awaiting their A-level results this month. With many students still wondering what their future will be, Southampton Solent University’s team of trained advisors are on hand to offer advice and support.
More than fifty University student and staff advisors will be at the end of a phone, on Twitter, Facebook, email and livechat to support and advise thousands of students as they receive their A-level and BTEC results.
Southampton Solent’s Head of Student Recruitment, Dr Stephen Lake says, “We know that results day is very nerve-wracking, if you’re not sure what to do with your results, don’t panic; the future you want is still within reach and our Clearing team are here to help.
Like many of the student advisors who will be manning the hotline, Jodie Kirkland (22) came through the Clearing process herself, she explains: “I didn’t want to go to uni when I got my results and I took two years out before deciding to apply. I was really nervous phoning up, but the student operators at Solent were really helpful.”
There weren’t any spaces left on Jodie’s first choice of course, but considering other options really paid off. “The advisor pointed out similar degrees to the one that I had wanted to study. After researching the alternatives I decided on BA (Hons) Film and TV Studies and I couldn’t be happier. It was the perfect choice.”
Experts will also be on hand to help ease anxiety around finances and talk through the benefits of having a university degree.
Dr Lake explains: “Some students may be put off from going to university for financial reasons. Many don’t realise that there are no up-front fees to be paid,”
“Money loaned through student finance does not have to be paid back until a graduate is earning at least £21,000. Most universities, including Solent, also offer a range of scholarships and bursaries which don’t have to be paid back.”
The future you want is still within reach. If you are still considering your career choices, Southampton Solent University’s trained staff are ready to talk to you. The clearing hotline is open from 7am to 10pm on Thursday 14 and Friday 15 August, then 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (including Bank Holiday Monday).
You can call us on 023 8201 3039; email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, livechat atwww.solent.ac.uk/clearing or contact us on Facebook or Twitter at “AskSolent.”
Top tips for Clearing
- Don’t panic: Consider your options carefully.
- Seek advice: Careers advisers, teachers, parents and universities are good sources of advice. Look at websites to find out about courses, accommodation and sporting and social life at universities you didn’t consider first time.
- Be flexible: If the degree you wanted isn’t on offer, consider related subjects. Check what’s available and whether it suits you.
- Get to know the university: Once you have an idea of the course you want to study, try to visit. Make sure you like the university – you’re going to be there for at least three years.
- Money matters: Most universities offer bursaries and scholarships and can advise you on entitlements. You can also find out about part-time work. At Solent we have a jobshop service that helps students find work.
- Think about where you’ll live: University accommodation is a great place to work, relax, socialise and meet new friends. If you visit the campus in advance, ask to be shown the student accommodation.
For further information contact the media office on 023 8201 3040 email@example.com