Tuesday 13 January 2015
SSU and MP to discuss more cost-efffective HE
Southampton Solent University and the Rt Hon John Denham MP will be jointly hosting a debate and networking event on Thursday 29 January 2015 in the Sir James Matthews building of the University.
The discussion will seek to explore options for a more cost effective higher education system at lower cost to graduates within the current limits of public funding.
The debate will be led by former Minister for Universities and Southampton Itchen MP John Denham. Professor Graham Baldwin, Vice-Chancellor of Southampton Solent University will provide a higher education view and Brian Johnson UK Business Development Director of BAE Systems and chairman of the Solent Marine and Maritime Steering Group of the Local Enterprise Partnership will speak from an industry perspective.
Discussion topics include:
- Do you believe that there is a role for a higher proportion of more intensively taught courses, which could include two year degrees?
- Do you want to see better learning paths for mature and part time students?
- What are your thoughts on employer co-sponsored degrees, with an employer contribution below the typical cost of recruitment and retention?
- How can we help local students ‘learn while they earn’?
- How can we make higher education more attractive to local students?
Ultimately this debate is an opportunity to develop and take forward some practical proposals for higher education.
Please book your place by 1pm Tuesday 27th January here. Light refreshments will be served both before and following the debate.