Solent Sanctuary Week launched
We were proud to launch our inaugural Solent Sanctuary Week on Monday 13 March
On Monday 13 March, Solent University launched its inaugural Solent Sanctuary Week on campus, forming part of our commitment to becoming a University of Sanctuary in 2023.
Designed to bring together students, staff, and external organisations to better understand and tackle a range of topics associated with immigration in the UK, the week welcomed various organisations and charities to share real-life stories and lived experiences of those living within Southampton, as well as providing information on the challenges faced by those seeking sanctuary and how we can all make a difference.
During the week, we were proud to:
- Gain an exclusive showing of ‘My fair Share Too’ - a short film devised and created by World Stages Now and directed by students currently studying on Solent’s MA Film Production and BA (Hons) Film production courses.
- Welcome local organisations and charities to our Sanctuary Village in the Spark, to share with students and staff how they can support those seeking sanctuary, the various challenges communities are facing and volunteering opportunities available.
- Showcase projects currently being undertaken by Solent University as part of our application to become a University of Sanctuary. We also opened applications for our 2023-24 Sanctuary Scholarship, which awards a full yearly fee waiver and £3,000 grant to a person seeking sanctuary studying on a three-year undergraduate programme.
- Invite Sonita Gale, Director at Gale Force Films, to screen her award-winning documentary ‘Hostile’ which talks about the complicated relationship the UK has with its migrant communities and the impact of its polices.
- Support the establishment of the Solent STAR (Student Action for Refugees) Society, which provides students with the opportunities to campaign for a future where Britain provides a truly safe haven for those fleeing persecution.
Commenting on the inaugural Solent Sanctuary Week, Professor Syamantak Bhattacharya, Provost at Solent University said: “As we continue on our journey to become a University of Sanctuary, we were delighted to host our first ever Sanctuary Week on campus. The week provided a variety of opportunities for our communities to come together, sharing knowledge and experiences with one another, while also putting a spotlight on all the work Solent undertakes throughout the year”.
Join us in making a difference
We are always interested in hearing about ways we can work together on projects involving or helping people seeking sanctuary across our city to share experiences and knowledge. Please get in touch to let us know how we could support you.