Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

We have a large community of international students here at Solent University and understand that relocating to a new country can be a challenge. Students coming from the United States can find a range of advice about obtaining a visa and studying in the UK right here on the Solent website.

For more specific advice about coming from the United States to study, please see the information below. We also have a page about securing a US Federal Loan. Alternatively, you can contact the British Council's US offices or our own international advice team.

Find out more about studying at Solent

Entry requirements

As a general guide, we look for qualifications that are equivalent to the British high school A-levels. A portfolio is also required for most of our art and design courses.

  • Students should have a minimum of 550 in writing, critical reading and mathematical of the SAT Reasoning Test and a minimum of 550 in relevant SAT Subject Tests.
  • Students with a High School Diploma may be considered for a foundation year (level 0 of a bachelor's degree).

For postgraduate courses, we look for qualifications that are equivalent to the British bachelor's degree.

Advice for applying for US Federal Aid (FAFSA)

Solent University is certified by the US Department of Education to originate both loan applications for Federal Direct Loans and PLUS Loans, together with private student loans via Sallie Mae. You may find the following video guide helpful together with our full guide.

For further information please contact

International scholarships

We are pleased to offer scholarships to students from United States of America. These are available if you are applying for a full-time course at Solent University and are a self-funded, full-fee student.

Find out more

Visa information

As an American national, you will need to apply for a visa to come and study in the UK. When you have met all the conditions of entry for a full-time course at Solent University (including payment of deposit and course acceptance), you will be sent a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. You will need this document to apply for a student visa.

Find out how to apply for a UK visa

Speak with an official representative

Solent has a number of official representatives around the world. They give you the chance to talk about opportunities here at Solent with someone in your own country.

Play Overseas
Tel: +44 7411 704033

Student Athlete Network
Tel: +44 7766 753139

Study Across the Pond
Email: /
Tel: +52 222 461 7075

Back to top