Wednesday 30 November 2016
When Mary Davoudi visited Solent's public relations and communication students earlier this month, she brought a wealth of experience in the public relations industry with her.
In her career so far, Mary has worked as a PR assistant for London Fashion Week, a marketing and events coordinator, and most recently, as an engagement officer for the largest PR membership association in Europe - the Public Relations and Communication Association (PRCA).
During her time with the students she spoke about gender pay gaps, securing a job in PR and making the most of PRCA as a membership body.
PR_SSU have put together a list of Mary’s best tips from the morning:
- Find your passion by exploring!
- No experience? Use your university's societies, approach charities and start a blog.
- See yourself as an investment – take advantage of opportunities and training.
- Feeling shy? Fake confidence at networking events, it may lead to your next great opportunity.
- Use PR keywords to describe what you have done - so many jobs have transferable skills.
- Utilise your social media accounts. Take advantage of your confidence on these platforms.
- Provide employers with hooks and discover your unique selling points.
- Be proactive – network, network, network!
- Be confident – people are rarely confident enough.
- Take advantage of the PRCA’s online training.
Feeling inspired? Find out more about public relations and communications courses here at Southampton Solent.