Tuesday 24 March 2015
Free fitness? Get running!
Here we have a guest blog post written by Nikki Smith, who runs the Give Sport a Try sessions here at Southampton Solent University.
Making the decision to “get fit” can be a scary yet exciting one, there are so many different things you can try, from spinning classes to boxercise, where do you begin?
Fitness classes can be expensive, with some costing as much as £7 per session, and by taking just two per week, it could set you back around £50-£60 per month, extremely draining on the student bank account! However, if you do want to try out fitness classes, you can join them at Solent Sport at a much more cost-effective rate of £13 on a pay-as-you-go monthly membership and these classes are on campus! Find out more on the link.
Now we know that getting into shape can be a daunting experience, but the truth is, getting a basic level of fitness that you can easily and enjoyably maintain, is really not as hard as you would think!
For those of you who want to get fit but don’t want to splash out, why not try running?
5 reasons why you should get out there try it for yourself:
1. It’s FREE! Save the pennies on costly gym memberships and have more cash to spend on the things you really love!
2. It makes you happy. More commonly known as “runners high” the feeling you get after all those lovely endorphins have been released creating a biologically natural high!
3. It’s good for your heart – Just 30 minutes of cardio-vascular exercise per day can seriously reduce your risk of heart-related diseases.
4. It clears your mind – Forget the stress of deadlines or messy house mates and relax, it’s just you, alone with your own thoughts.
5. Anyone can do it – You don’t need to be top athlete to be a runner and for those of you who don’t feel quite ready to take the plunge just yet then the NHS have set up a training programme just for you! “Couch to 5K” is a 9 week, training programme designed to get you running solidly for 30 minutes and guess what? It’s FREE! Simply download the app and follow the programme, it couldn’t be simpler.
So what are you waiting for? Lace up those trainers and get out there! Don’t forget… no matter how slow you go, you will still be lapping everybody on the couch!
For more running tales visit the diaries of the unfit at https://fitandnix.wordpress.com
And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/nikkismithbaby #FitandNix
Why not join in on Give Sport a Try’s lunchtime running sessions! Find out more on the poster below: