Our IAC hemi-anechoic chamber and acoustic equipment are used for education, consultancy and research in acoustics and vibration.
Take a tour of the hemi-anechoic chamberVirtual tour
About the acoustics laboratory
Our IAC Acoustics hemi-anechoic chamber is at the heart of our acoustics laboratory, allowing students and researchers to carry out acoustic testing in an environment with exceptionally low background noise, and with free-field conditions down to 100Hz.
We have a large selection of specialist acoustic and vibration equipment, both for use in the lab and out in the field. This allows our students to get hands-on experience with the diverse range of activities that make up the field of acoustics, from lab testing of sound power and the acoustic characteristics of materials, to the assessment of environmental noise around live music events, partitions in buildings, and noise exposure in the workplace.
The acoustics facilities are used by students on IOA short courses, undergraduate students on acoustic and audio engineering programmes, and postgraduate students studying the IOA Diploma in Acoustics and Noise Control or the masters programmes in acoustics or audio engineering.
Access to these industry standard facilities prepares students for a career in acoustic consultancy, engineering, environmental health or built environment, or further study and research in the field.
- Hemi-anechoic chamber.
- Impedance tubes.
- NTi Audio FX100 data acquisition system.
- DataKustik CadnaA software.
- CATT-Acoustic software.
- Sound level meters and microphones (NTi Audio, Larson Davis, Brüel and Kjær).
- Cirrus doseBadges.
- Head and torso simulators (Brüel and Kjær).
- Intensity probe (Microflown Technologies).
- Impedance tube (Brüel and Kjær type 4002).
- Outdoor noise monitoring kits (Brüel and Kjær type 4952).
- Tapping machine (Brüel and Kjær type 3207).
- Reference noise source (Norsonic Nor278).
- Omnidirectional source (Brüel and Kjær type 4296).
- Acoustic generator STIPA Reference (NTi Audio Talkbox).
- Audiometers (Amplivox 116, Siemens Unity 2).
- Laser doppler vibrometer (Polytec PDV100).
- Impact hammer (PCB 086C03).
- Human vibration meter (Larson Davis HVM100).
- Shakers (LDS V201 and V450).
This facility is available to hire
The hemi-anechoic chamber may be hired for consultancy or research, as can some of our portable equipment, such as:
- Sound level meters (NTi, Larson Davis, Brüel and Kjær) and calibrators
- Brüel and Kjær HATS
- Impedance gun
- Omnidirectional source and amplifier
- Cirrus doseBadges.
Other equipment may be available on request.Find out more about external hire