- 'Oxford, China and Italy' (ed. with N Ritchie: 1984).
- 'The Grand Tour and the Great Rebellion' (1985).
- 'A Traveller's Companion to Florence' (1986; 2nd ed 2002).
- 'England and the Continental Renaissance' (ed with Peter Mack: 1990).
- 'English Architecture: Public and Private' (ed with John Bold: 1993).
- 'The Evolution of the Grand Tour: Anglo-Italian Cultural Relations since the Renaissance' (1998; 2nd, paperback edition, 2000).
- 'The Stuart Portrait: Status and Legacy' (2001)(with Godfrey Worsdale).
- 'The Evolution of English Collecting: Receptions of Italian Art during the Tudor and Stuart Periods' (2003).
- 'Richard Eurich 1903-1992: A Visionary Artist' (2003) (with Christine Clearkin).
- Introduction, updated bibliography and corrections to new edition of John Hale's 'England and the Italian Renaissance' (Blackwell, Oxford 2005).
- Inigo Jones's 'Roman Sketchbook' 2 vols. (2006).
- 'William Rose: Tradition and an Individual Talent' (2009).
- 'The Jacobean Grand Tour: Early Stuart Travellers in Europe' (2014) (with Timothy Wilks).
- 'Genius Friend: G.B. Edwards and The Book of Ebenezer Le Page' (2015).
Digital publications include:
'The Grand Tour'; consultant editors Jeremy Black, Edward Chaney and Rosemary Sweet. Two major essays and complete scans of many books and manuscripts belonging to ‘The Chaney Library,’ currently housed at Southampton Solent University; Adam Matthew Digital (subscribers only). 2009.
Other works include:
- In collaboration with Solent Fine Arts Valuation students he published an edition of Herbert Horne's 1889 'Italian Travel Diary' (with Jane Hall for the Walpole Society in 2002) and the exhibition catalogue on Richard Eurich (with Christine Clearkin in 2003).
- In collaboration with colleague Professor Tim Wilks he published 'The Jacobean Grand Tour' (I.B. Tauris, 2014) in time for submission to the 2014 REF.
- He was a member of Southampton's 'Cultural Consortium' and took a leading part in preventing the council from selling works of art from the city art gallery.
- He has appeared on Television and on BBC Radio 4 (Woman's Hour, Science Now, Start the Week and In Our Time).
- He has acted as consultant for programmes on the Grand Tour by Brian Sewell and Kevin McCloud (Channel 4) and Great British Art Collectors Lady Helen Rosslyn): BBC4: 2012-13.