Production tutors are film-makers, editors, cinematographers, television producers and directors. Research staff actively publish and present in their specialist areas. We will encourage you to produce informed and imaginative written and practical work, and equip you with a wide range of employability skills.
Masterclasses and visiting speakers
We have a strong visiting-speaker programme which includes masterclasses with industry professionals, as well as field trips to international film festivals, the BBC and Universal Studios.
Past guest speakers have included:
- Sir Alan Parker (director: Bugsy Malone, Midnight Express, Fame, Angel Heart, Mississippi Burning, The Commitments, Evita, Angela’s Ashes, The Life of David Gale)
- Michael Apted (director: Coronation Street, Play For Today, the ‘Up’ series, The World Is Not Enough, Rome, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader)
- Anne V. Coates (editor: Laurence of Arabia, Erin Brockovich, The Elephant Man, Out of Sight)
- Julian Unthank (writer: The Bill, Robin Hood)
- Jeff Taylor (assistant director: Kidulthood, Quantum of Solace, X-Men First Class, World War Z)
- Brian Tufano (cinematographer: Quadrophenia, Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary, Billy Elliot, Kidulthood, Adulthood)
- Ray Merrin (sound design: Alien, Batman, Shallow Grave, eXistenz, The Beach, Bridget Jones’s Diary, 28 Days Later)
- Terry Rawlings (editor: Blade Runner, Legend, Alien 3, GoldenEye, The Phantom of the Opera)
- Mark Kermode (critic).
In-house industry opportunities
You will have the opportunity to gain work experience for our in-house production company Solent Productions, creative agency Solent Creatives, broadcasting platform Solent TV and film and television magazine and website Diegesis.
You will have the unique opportunity to get your writing published in Diegesis, the course-produced film and television magazine, or to join the editorial board. For more information about the magazine, joining the board or writing for Diegesis, visit: www.diegesismagazine.com or email email@example.com
Southampton Film Week
The course has strong links with City Eye and is involved in the planning and organisation of Southampton Film Week.